Monday, October 3, 2011

Review: Tris and Izzie

Details:
Title: Tris and Izzie
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pub Date: October, 2011
Genre: Paranormal Romance

A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school. -- Goodreads
My Thoughts:
I didn't really know anything about the Tristan and Isolde fairytale before reading Tris and Izzie; the story just sounded fun and possibly Shakespearean. I wanted something fun and light to end the summer with and this was a good choice for that.

Like I've said before I'm not a huge fan of romance and this is definitely a romance. I liked it, but I did get a bit annoyed by Izzie's relationships and her need to not be in love with Tris. That said I didn't really connect with Izzie at all, but I did like Brangane and Tris quite a bit and for some reason it really didn't matter all that much that I didn't like the main character, the other characters held up the story enough for me to enjoy it.

The mythology Harrison created was excellent and a different take on the paranormal genre: very different witches story that any I've read. Although, I must say the mythical creatures and special powers did get a little silly to me at a few points in the story -- it just seemed too little-kid-fairytale, but these moments were pretty rare.


If you're a romance and fariytale fan then you'll probably love this one, I liked but just got a bit bored with the romance.

Rating:

8 comments:

  1. Ehhh, I do like romance, but i don't know. I'm afraid of this one being a little too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of Tristan and Isolde. I will likely read this one, but am a little afraid of being let down. I am really hearing mixed reviews of this book and most of them say it is slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is so beautiful. Oh, I just noticed the name of the book is the shortened versions of Tristan and Isolde..:P which is a very good story, by the way - I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it by reading a retelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my friends.hope you will visit my blog enjoy the information.please click the adsense for more information ok http://tourismopportunity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is very good. One of my friend is reading it. She likes it so far. Thank you for the honest review. Happy reading!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like it at all. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't like it, but the cover is stunning!

    Follow me! http://onegirlsworldofwords.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fariytale and romance, count me in! The cover is pretty, the summary sounds great and Tristan & Isolde is a wonderful, heartbreaking story (I love the movie)

    ReplyDelete