Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review: Urban Falcon

Details:
Title: Urban Falcon
Author: Jennifer Caloyeras
Publisher: Diversion Press
Pub Date: September, 2009
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Rating:



Evan Falcon was all set to finish high school in Elbow Creek when his dad's job forced the family to move to Lincoln Heights, a booming metropolis. Now, his best friend won't even talk to him and he suspects that his mom is having an affair. Caught between who he used to be and the possibility of who he could become, Evan is thrown into a world of dating, out of control parents, and family drama. -- Goodreads
My Thoughts:

I've been trying to read more contemporary fiction. I loved contemporary, realistic fiction when I was a teen, but now as an adult I haven't been reading it as much. Urban Falcon was a good realistic fiction novel that wasn't too heavy on the "my life is depressing" feeling that a few too many realistic novels have.

I had a little trouble getting into the novel and relating to Evan, but after a few chapters the pace picked up and I began to connect with Evan. He struggles with things most teenagers do; there was nothing over-the-top, just a boy trying to deal with being a teenager and figure out who he is and what he wants. It was refreshing to read a realistic boy coming-of-age story. I've found several excellent girl coming-of-age stories, but not a lot for boys. There's always something missing, but not here.

Beyond Evan and the basic plot, I really liked each of the characters' development through the story. Even the more minor characters grow and change throughout the story. A few of the changes seemed a little unrealistic, but for the most part they felt true to the characters and to the way actual people grow and change.

I especially enjoyed the ending. Everything was tied up well enough for me to feel satisfied at the end, but Evan's life isn't all tied up and perfect. He's still trying to figure everything out and I really like books that end in a way that is true to life. Things don't suddenly all work perfectly in most people's lives.

Check back later today for a guest post/interview with Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment